Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, September 26, 2008

Delta Ugrade Priority

A while back I posted my suspicions that Delta's upgrade priority was based more on ticket price that elite mileage (the plasma screens do say "a combination of ......."). In a recent issue of Business Traveller, a magazine that can be found in the Delta Crown Club rooms, I found proof positive of this policy. A reader wrote in to complain that he, as a Platinum member, had not been upgraded, while a colleague with Gold status, but on a more expensive ticket, received the upgrade.



I have to say Delta that I think your policy is wrong! I undertsand that if two people with the same elite level are vying for an upgrade that you use the ticket price as a tie breaker. But it should not be the primary deciding factor. The ticket is a one time event, while someone who has colected MQMs to reach an elite level is a return customer and should be treated as such.

So Delta, please use medallion status (or even last year's or this year's MQM count) as primary criteria for upgrade priority, rather than ticket value and trip disruption.

No comments: