Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Misery at Liberty

As you will notice from my posts, I have been travelling with Continental quite frequently in the last few weeks. One of the reasons was it helps me avoid my least favorite airport, PHL. I am having to rethink my strategy though, as this trip, both out and return I had some bad experiences with the AirTrain monorail at Newark. On Sunday night, when the train runs as a single line shuttle, combined with technical problems, it took me over an hour to get from gate to rental car. On the return trip, again there were technical problems, so this time it took only 45 minutes to get from the rental car facility to the terminal.
On Sunday evening I sort of understand that they use the 'quiet' time to do maintenance, but why not start at 2 am as there seemed to be enough irate passengers arriving between midnight and 1. The troubles today were at peak time though, so should not happen.

I have always wondered why the Port Authority installed such a tinker toy type monorail anyway. They should have ordered the Disney monorail system. These sleek, reliable trains run 365 days a year, with hardly any problems. But they probably cost a lot more than the AirTrain.

You gets what you paid for......

No comments: