Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Save some paper...save a tree

With refernce to my NW flight a few weeks ago, I forgot to mention that NW have an excellent green initiative. When checking in on-line for a multi-segment itinerary, you only print one boarding pass, which contains info of both (or more?) flights. DL is still printing one boarding pass per segment (per page), even if you select to not print the destination information. So here is another idea that DL will hopefully merge into the the new DL-NW system.
Actually there are quite a number of computer related items that DL can learn from NW:
Multi segment boarding passes
Segement related Outlook update (instead of just one for the whole itinerary)
User friendly flight status notification (i.e. ability to look up active items, even if you do not thave the notification number)
2D barcodes for mobile check-in (Strangely enough the original blog posting about the DL trail at LGA actually shows a 2D barcode!)

Oh well, maybe one day they will get their tech act together

2 comments:

JDN said...

I've been in the barcode business over 36 years and I've encountered linear barcodes such as UPC and Code 128, 2D symbols such as Datamatrix, but I've never seen or heard of a 3D barcode. What is the third dimension and how are they printed?

Illusioneer said...

JDN,
you are right, I added a dimension to the barcodes. It should have been "linear" and "2D", instead of "2D" and "3D".
I will edit my post as soon as I can.