Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, December 17, 2010

WifI Calling on the MyTouch 4G

After using the WiFi calling at home quite heavily, since cell reception in my house is bad for any provider, I was looking forward to trying it out as an alternative for international calling. And guess what, IT WORKS! On a recent trip to Tokyo, where I would have no cell connection anyway, is was able to call home, and be called, using the WiFi calling. Lucky for me my work required that I rent a MiFi (WiMax) box. In addition to using it to connect my laptop to the Internet, I was able to connect the phone. I could then make my calls and send or receive text messages via WiFi running off the MiFi box. As this box was also battery operated, I was basically able to use my cell phone as a mobile phone, all over Tokyo. Other than some dead spots inside buildings, it worked a treat.

Because of the time zone differences most of my calls took place in off-peak hours, so essentially free calls. Sure beats the $1.29+ that most providers charge for international roaming.

No comments: