Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, March 28, 2008

Light is the way to go

I have recently changed employer and at the new employer was given a choice of laptop. basically the choices were between a standard or lightweight model. I was also asked to choose between XP and Vista. I decided to go with the lightweight model, which turned out to be a 12" Lenovo X61 Duo-Core. This was a great decision, as the difference in weight between my previous 14" T42 is amazing. Even with the external CD/DVD drive that I need to carry, there is still a significant difference. I loose a little screen real estate, but a laptop, whether 12" or 14", is not really a vehicle for using multiple windows.

I also decided to go with Vista, although I do not like Vista too much, but it came with Office 2007. I had seen Office 2007 on a couple of colleagues' laptops before my job change as my previous employer was in the process of upgrading from Office 2003 to 2007. So I decided the "problems" with vVsta were worth the upgraded Office suite. Up to now I must admit that Vista has not been too much of a problem. Other than the annoying "Confirm or Deny" messages at frequent intervals (and yes Apple, your commercials are right on the mark there) Vista is actually quite usable. And as I get used to Office 2007, I am finding that it is a real improvement over 2003.

No comments: