Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bluetooth NR headset

Over the last few months I have been using the nXZen BT headset. I chosse this headset for its very strong noise reduction capabilities. At the time the main competition was the Jawbone headset, but I had read that while the Jawbone has good noise reduction, it does rely on having the headset correctly seated on the ear so that a critical part is pressed against the head (or actually, the jawbone). The nXZen relies on two microphones to exclude background noise and I was impressed by the sample recording on their site. One feature I really like is the fact that the set has two separate operating controls, in addition to a volume control switch. This allows for a wide range of actions, without having to take the set out of the ear and look at flashing lights. I am also very happy with the battery life and the USB charger cable, supplied in addition to a normal 110v charger. In practice the set has worked well for me, but there are a couple of negatives.
  1. In the beginning I lost a number of the ear buds, as well as the ear loops. The buds seemed to fall off very easily, and the loops are not too strong and break quite quickly. However, by being a little more careful I have been able to keep the current ear bud and ear loop for a couple of months now. I must add that the vendor has been very good in sending replacements of both buds and loops, when I contected their customer support group.
  2. Although I would have expected wind noise to be excluded as well as other background noise, on one particularily windy day outdoors I had to mute my phone as the other parties on the call were hearing a lot of noise. Covering the headset with my hand while talking helped, but I had hoped for better wind noise reduction.
All in all I am reasonably pleased with this product, but would I buy it again if I needed a replacement? Based on the small issues mentioned above I think I might give a different set a try. Would I recommend it? If you are looking for a solid headset with very good noise reduction, except in windy conditions, it is a good product. It is not as small as some models on the market today, but the size allows for easy to use controls. battery life is good and most important the voice communication is clear, in both directions.

No comments: