Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Geek pride label


You may have noticed these strange bar code boxes around the place. They are 2-d or QR barcodes. There is now a site on the Internet where you can generate your own code with your choice of URL or text coded into the symbol. Why would you do this? Well, there are now programs which run on your cellphone and use the phone's camera to read the barcode. For example, I use I-nigma on my WM Treo 750, but a quick Google will find many different ones. You can also try this site, or use the software list on the Semapedia site linked below.

If I see one of these codes somewhere, I-nigma takes a picture and decodes it for me. If it is a URL, it will link immediately. So if you see me in the airport, feel free to take a picture of the QR coded label on my luggage, it will link you to this blog.

Another site that uses QR barcodes is http://www.semapedia.org/. They only generate codes linked to Wikipedia entries, but useful to put on buildings and other locations which have Wikipedia entries.

There is even someone on the Net who will create a wearable patch from your QR code. That is really showing your pride of geekdom!

No comments: