Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Monday, July 28, 2008

iPhones for the family

My wife and younger daughter have been anging to get iPhones for quite a while. When the 3G was annouced at the much reduced price, we had to bite the bullet. Being on the return trip from our RV trip (see earlier post) we were unable to join the throngs lining up on July 11th. After that it turned out to be quite difficult to find one, let alone two. We tried the two Apple stores in Orlando, I even made plans to drive to New York from South Jersey, to their flagship 5th Avenue store. But last weekend we managed to get our two in Orlando.

I am quite impressed with the user interface on the phone, and the large screen. Unfortunately, the iPhone is missing some key features that I find very useful on my Treo. They include Voice Command, Bluetooth A2DP (stereo), tethering, cut and paste, memory chip expansion, turn by turn GPS, MS-Office compatibility, to name a few. Some of these are no doubt available now, or soon, in the Apps Store, but I will wait to see what the Windows Mobile phones such as the HTC Touch or Samsung Omnia are like.

It has been interesting to see how my wife has taken to texting, even in this short time, now that she has an easy to use keyboard instead of a phone pad. The fact that the messages get delivered immediately is also a plus since her experience with T-Mobile was frequent delays in the delivery of the text message which I was sending. I will blog in a few weeks about her experiences with this new toy.

No comments: