Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, February 20, 2009

Hidden charging trick

I do not know if this is a ThinkPad only trick, but I just found out that the USB ports on my X61 stay live even after the computer is turned off. I occasionally have used the USB ports of the laptop to recharge my phone in an emergency, when no AC power is available. I turn on the computer for this and of course that uses even more power. With the number of devices today that use USB charging, e.g. phone, headset, etc., this could be a very useful feature.

Sorry, false alarm! I found out that after about a minute the power is finished and the phone charging light goes out. However, even if the computer has been turned off for more than 12 hours, the USB is still 'hot' for 30 seconds. But too short to charge the phone :-(

No comments: