Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, February 20, 2009

New Bluetooth headset


On a recent trip I discovered that I had lost my nXZen Bluetooth headset, or so I thought, as I did come across it in a forgotten pocket a few days later. I wanted something with good noise reduction/elimination as I have been spoiled by the nXZen which rivals the Jawbone in sound quality. While doing research into what is currently the best headset with noise reduction I came across the Joby Zivio. I found the best information about sound quality was at BlueTruth.com, where they have sound clips of many headsets, recorded under different conditions.

Not only did the Zivio have very good reviews with respect to sound quality, it is a very stylish device too. The sound quality is aided by a retractable boom microphone, which can be used when you are in a noisy environment, or do not want to raise your voice so your called party can clearly hear you. The Zivio also claims an excellent battery life of 10 talk hours. It comes with a series of different ear inserts, so you should be able to find one that is comfortable. Especially since the speaker unit has an adjustable angle too. If the ear fit is very good then you can dispense with the ear hook shown in the picture, it is just a magnetic clasp. I am keeping the ear hook as a backup, as I do not want to have the headset drop off my ear as I run through the terminal.

I have paired it, without problems, with my Treo 750 and held a quick, unscientific test. Standing outside on a blustery day, with cars going past I heard no wind noise (great!) and no background noise (great!). I will have to see what my wife says when I call from more noisy areas, like an airport concourse or car rental shuttle.

No comments: