Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Friday, February 20, 2009

The value of Elite Level Customer Service

On a recent return trip from Washington DC, I was booked via Memphis as my usual Delta flights via ATL were too expensive. After push back from the gate, we sat on the apron for a number of minutes before the pilot announced technical problems. Our expected departure kept getting delayed, 10 or 15 minutes at a time. As we were back at the gate, and after the third announcement that it would be at least another 20 minutes I knew that I would not make my connection in MEM. People we already leaving the plane, so I realized the staff at the gate would be busy. I also remembered that there was an ATL bound flight which I could catch, if there were seats. So rather than trying to arrange new flights at the gate I immediately called the DL Elite Level reservations, and yes, the agent was able to block seats for me all the way home. The biggest problem was getting NW to release me off the MEM bound flight so that the DL flight could be confirmed. While waiting for the offload, I did hear the NW agent telling other passengers that the ATL flight had no seats available.However, the DL agent on the phone was great, staying with me while I arranged the offload and then making sure that the DL gate agent had everything correct for my new flights.

Moral of the story is: in case of problems, get on the line with elite level reservations immediately!

No comments: