Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Even more penny pinching? Award travel price hikes!

I am afraid that my favorite airline, Delta, has blotted its copybook. This concerns the 'junk' fees that are charged for the so-called free, award travel. I happened to be looking for flights to Europe, using Delta's excellent award travel calendar. Having found some flights I noticed a major discrepancy in the extra fees, depending on whether the flights were actually booked on Delta, or one of the SkyTeam partners, Northwest or Continental. In the past I remember paying about $50-70 per ticket to Europe, so I was very surprised to see that DL is now charging over $200 in extra fees. NW and CO flights were still at the $50-70 level, for the same itinerary.
So, is this an underhand way to reduce the cost to the airline of award travel? Come on, DL, not the way to treat your hard travelling supporters.

No comments: