Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Thursday, May 1, 2008

TomTom Traffic Rocks

When I switched to my Treo750m I treated myself to Palm's GPS solution. this includes a matchbox sized (for those of you who can remember matchboxesu BlueTooth GPS receiver and TomTom software. As consultant who often visits different clients, travels to different client locations, having a tool that helps me find my way is indispensable. The small GPS receiver does have one disadvantage, it is so small that it is easy to fforget about it. I did in fact leave it in a cab on one occasion; luckily was able to reach the driver who brought it back. All it cost me was a big, fat tip.
In addition to the standard voices, I have downloaded, for a nominal sum, driving instructions read by John Cleese. So my journeys now have Fawlty Towers touch.
Recently I noticed a new bar and icon on the side. On tapping it, I discovered that it controls TomTom Traffic. This week I was using the GPS on my way back to the airport, and was surprised to be directed along a different route than I had seen when checking directioms back to the airport earlier in the week. Pleasantly surprised, ecause it was taking me along the road recommended by locals in the office to avoid traffic jams. Initially I though that this was just coincidental, and that the new route was shorter. However, as I approached the airport, I was warned that there was a traffic jam ahead. The instructions showed that I should take the next exit off the highway, to follow an alternate route to the airport. As it was, I was coming off a bridge and could see that the traffic jam had resolved itself. But it is nice to know that the navigation program is looking out for you. In that not what technolgy is all about?

No comments: