Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Phone


I finally bit the bullet and replaced my aging Treo 750. I had been looking at the Treo Pro, but it is not cheap, $399 via Palm (unlocked and no contract) or $249 through third-party supplier (with 2 year extension).
I looked at other alternatives, but decided I wanted to stay with Windows Mobile, due to my investment in software. I found a device with very similar specifications to the Treo Pro, but free after rebate! This device is the Samsung Epix.

Up to now I have been pretty happy with this phone, except for one issue. My TomTom software does not seem to run, using either the built-in or an external GPS. During my reserach I had seen that there were some issues with TomTom, but there seemed to be resolutions. Unfortunately the resolutions did not work for me. However, I have done further reserach and found some other possibilities, so when I get time I will play around with that.
Until then, Google Maps is working, and while it is not turn by turn, it will be enough to get by temporarily.
Otherwise, everything seems to be working OK. I do have to watch my battery usgae, but that was the same on my Treo 750. And on the Internet, I have found tweaks and ideas that should help with the usage. Finally, I have also found a rechargeable external battery, that can be used to recharge the phone. I will probably get one of those, it has 2-3 times the capacity of the internal battery and is actuially quite small. A future post will let you know my experience with that gadget.

No comments: