Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Delta Update for Outlook

Since changing employers, and having returned to using MS-Outlook as calendar tool, I needed a way to quickly enter my travel data into my calendar. In the past I have used a tool (Infotriever) provided through the company travel agent, but as my current company encourages us to book directly at the airline sites I thought I would see what Delta has to offer. I found out that there "Outlook update" does not actually work very well. NWA has a similar capability, using '.ics' files that works much better.
In Delta's case, I found that the following issues occurred:
My four segment itinerary was loaded into Outlook as three items, two outbound and only one inbound.
The two outbound items overlapped, i.e. one item was for the origination to intermediate segment, while the second one covered origination to final destination. I really expected the second one to be intermediate to final destination.
The reminder on all items was set for a day ahead. This only makes sense for the first segment (on-line check-in), I prefer to set the reminder to 30-45 minutes prior to departure - time to leave the Crown Room and head to the gate.
Hopefully Delta will read this, and take a look at the software that generates the '.ics' files. maybe they can "borrow" the NWA version, if the merger goes ahead.

No comments: