Flight Statistics (since 1/1/2009)

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Photo Ringer

On the Palm Treo 750 which I use, there is a feature to associate pictures with a contact, so that the picture appears when a call is received from any of the numbers stored for that contact. I found out that one of the advantages of switching from Lotus Notes & mNotes (previous employer) to Exchange server (current employer) is that the pictures are also stored in my contact list on the server. In the past, if I carried out a hard reset on my phone, I had to go in and reconnect the pictures to all the relevant contacts. Now it is done automatically

Even better, my new employer has an application on their intranet site, which can be used to look up information about colleagues, and includes a picture. As a new employee, connecting faces and names can be difficult, but now I get a reminder any time the person calls me. I just download the picture from the intranet and connect it to the contact on my phone. I can do this either directly on the phone, or in the Contacts function of Outlook on my laptop. In eithercase a quick synchronization brings both sides up to date.

P.S. One other advantage - in Outlook displaying an email also shows the contact photo, if available.

No comments: